Benefits of a grinder:
- Taste / Smell / Looks: Grinding up the herb unlocks wonderful aromas that aren’t matched by your fingers or scissors. Grinding creates a much larger surface area of virgin material that smells and tastes amazing. The consistency even looks sexier than the randomly-sized lumps from breaking apart by hand.
- Potency/Efficiency: The herb is ground up into small consistent pieces, it can be packed more tightly into a bowl or rolling paper – meaning the herb is exposed to less oxygen and therefore will burn less before you inhale and increase the airflow. This helps provide a nice even burning and avoid things like ‘canoeing’ on your joints. When pulling herb apart by hand, pollen and other plant matter can stick to your fingers, reducing its potency. All of this translates into increased potency/efficiency.
- Cost Savings: Increased potency and efficiency translates into cost savings as you don’t need as much herb to produce the same effect. If combustion is your normal means of consumption, this also means you can cut down on the amount of smoke you’re taking in.
- Time Savings: Grinders speed up and simplify the process of separating dry herbs, and make it much easier to conserve your herbs when they are finely ground. Grinding can be done in 1/4 to 1/2 of the time of the more manual methods which will help you get the reward faster!
- Kief: If you use a 3 or 4 piece grinder, it should have a kief catcher. Kief refers to the trichomes (the resin glands, ‘crystals’) which are the more pure & potent part of the plant and what’s used to make hash. After a couple of weeks, you’ll have a nice little pile of kief. Just sprinkle some on top of your herb for an extra kick or smoke it straight for a wild ride.